As the saying goes: It’s nice to know you’re not alone. And if you’re a wine drinker, you’re not!
Here, from the top wine industry sources (listed at the end), are the just-released statistics on who we are, how much wine we drink, and other fascinating facts. Cheers!
• Wine consumption has increased for the 13th straight year
• Of the 230 million adults in the U.S., 44% drink wine
• 15% of wine drinkers (approximately 34 million of us) are considered “High Frequency”—those people who drink wine more than once a week
• 29% percent of us (approximately 67 million people) are “Occasional Drinkers”—those who drink wine once a week or less
• 35% of High Frequency wine drinkers drink sparkling wine at least monthly
• 24% of High Frequency wine drinkers drink dessert wine at least monthly
• 63% of High Frequency wine drinkers were likely to be married
• The average annual income of High Frequency wine drinkers was $82,900
• 81% of High Frequency wine drinkers were home owners
• Consistent with recent years, wine continues to be the top alcohol beverage choice for women • The U.S. now has 7,762 wineries, led by California with 3,674.
• California makes just over 90% of all U.S. wine and is the world’s 4th Leading wine producer after France, Italy and Spain
• The estimated retail value of all wine shipped to or within the U.S. is $36.3 billion
• 30-40% of all wine sold in the U.S. is sold now, between September and end of December
What do you think about these new stats on wine drinkers? Let us know below.